Scotswood Railway Bridge
The Scotswood Railway Bridge is a disused railway bridge , formerly carrying the main line between the Scotswood and Blaydon stations.It required strengthening in 1943. It was taken out of use permanently in November 1982, when the trains on the N&CR were re-routed across the King Edward bridge. Goods trains continued to use the line on the north side of the Tyne up until around 1990, taking coal to the Stella power Station and materials to the battery factory at Newburn. The bridge is still used to carry water and gas mains over the river but the railway tracks have been removed and it is no longer possible to cross safely.