per Manders ...Gateshead lacked hospital accommodation.
Isolation Hospital was extended in 1904, while Saltwell Hall was also used as
a hospital for infectious diseases for a time. Whinney House was another
stately home converted to this purpose.
Here's the Sheriff Hill Hospital on this O.S. map of 1895
Finance was not available for new
building until 1936 and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was begun at Sheriff Hill
in 1938. Unfortunately, the Second World War delayed the completion of this
building and the hospital wards of the workhouse were taken over. This later
became Bensham General Hospital.
For a Haven sent Holiday Break
Click this Link
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital was officially
opened on 18 March 1948. See this later street map showing the isolation hospital in the bottom corner of the QE Hospital area. Both maps cover more or less the same ground so other changes maybe noted..the existence of Southend Road and Beacon Lough Road for example
Mentally ill patients were catered for
at private asylums situated at Wrekenton (1825-55), Sheriff Hill (1817-60) and
Bensham (1799-1868). Then, Gateshead Council sent patients to an asylum owned by Durham
County Council from 1856 but this agreement was ended in 1912. An estate was
bought at Stannington for £9,221 and the hospital was opened in 1914 to serve the town's needs for a mental hospital...the "loonies" being shipped miles away to Northumberland..!! Thankfully, St. Mary's is now a thing of the past.
Gateshead Hospitals Pics & Info brought to you by
The Felling Heritage Group