Gateshead Public Houses
Title: Albion Public House, 148 High Street, 1970
Photographer: Gateshead Post
Reference Number: GL004226
The number of pubs on Gateshead High Street has always been a talking point and this reflected the densely populated nature of the area. At its peak there were over 30, with many more on the side streets.
Photographer: Davison, N.
Reference Number: GL004545
Date: Date Unknown
Reference Number: GL001562
IThis street was demolished in 1940 and ran off the High Street. Pictured on the left of the photograph is the Phoenix Inn. The inn appears to have been owned by Jane Hindmarsh in 1841 - who was 60 at the time. By 1873 it was owned by J. Lamb and it is known today as Curley's after the landlord of the inn in the 1930's, the noted boxer Will Curley. Although the inn has survived, Charles Street was demolished in the 1940s.
Photographer: Maughan, Jenifer
Reference Number: GL007894
This photograph shows the same view as GL001562. Curley's was originally known as the Phoenix Inn and is listed as early as 1841 under a Jane Hindmarsh, landlady. Originally the inn also formed the corner with Charles Street, one of the many streets of terraced housing leading off the High Street. Charles Street was demolished in the 1940s as part of the slum clearnance programme, but the inn survived.
Title: 331-351, High Street, Gateshead, 1967
Date: February 1967
Reference Number: GL004064
The Blue Bell Inn was situated at no. 351 High Street. This part of the High Street was built in the early 1870s and the Blue Bell’s first landlord was a Mrs H. Jolley. Drinking was a very popular pastime 100 years ago. Many workers were employed in hot, dusty and dry conditions and headed straight for the local inn at the end of each day. Because there were very few public meeting places pubs were also used as venues for meetings and for business and by many clubs and societies.
Reference Number: GL001838
Item Description: Shows corner of Jackson Street, later the site of the Metropole Theatre. Ownership of the raised 'quays' in front of these houses was disputed between the Borough Council and several owners, notably Councillor James Hymers. Further north, the quays were much wider and sloped down to the road.
Reference Number: GL004225
Item Description: 20 Albert Street
Title: Alma Public House, Hopper Street, Gateshead, c1929
Reference Number: GL001373
Title: Askew Arms Public House, Askew Road, Gateshead
Photographer: Armstrong, M.G
Reference Number: GL011949
Built in 1909 did this replace the former building?..see pic below..not if that pic was taken in 1920 as shown
Title: Askew Arms Public House, Gateshead
Date: C. 1920
Reference Number: GL004230
Title: Atlas Hotel 242-244 High Street, Gateshead
Reference Number: GL004231
Item DesThe number of pubs on Gateshead High Street has always been a talking point and this reflected the densely populated nature of the area. At its peak there were over 30, with many more on the side streets.
Reference Number: GL004236
The Barley Mow was situated at 28 East Street and the Crawshay Inn was 22-24 East Street.
Reference Number: GL001747
Item Description: Wylam Street was situated off West Street.
The Queen's Head Public House, Bottle Bank, 1970
Photographer: Elrington, W.P
Reference Number: GL004447
Before the early 1800s Gateshead’s most important pubs were all along the Great North Road. However, by the middle
of the 1800s Gateshead was expanding away from the riverside and the building of the High Level Bridge in 1850 took a great
deal of trade away from this area. The pubs around the riverside started to decline and by the Second World War the majority of these pubs had disappeared.
The Queen’s Head was the riversides last surviving traditional pub and had been used for many purposes. The rooms within the
Queens Head had been used as a temporary town hall (1867), a courthouse, a billiard room and a ‘Harmony Hall.’ As well as all of this during the days of stagecoaches the hotel was also a busy post house!
Reference Number: LS001506
Supplied by John Barrass, Bass "Burton", Richie's Brown Stout
Black Horse Inn Public House, Greenside, c1900
Photographer: Dalton, J.P.
Reference Number: 19_06
This Inn was originally known as the Pack Horse but sometime in the 19th century became known as the Black Horse. It's true name was reinstated during the First World War and has remained as the Pack Horse ever since. Taken by J.P. Dalton, surveyor of Ryton Urban District Council, between 1898-1905.
There are 236 images of pubs on iSee. The link takes you to the first mage. Trawl thro by using the >> forward arrows
Gateshead Historic Public Houses brought to you by
The Felling Heritage Group