Gateshead High Street Houses
Rhubarb Terrace, Gateshead
Rear, 2-12, Rhubarb Terrace and 38-40, East Street, looking east
Reference No: GL005202
These buildings were demolished in 1938. Rowells Brewery buildings can be seen in the background. Rowell’s Brewery had The Crown which housed their offices and had function rooms as well as being a pub. The brewery itself ran between East Street and the High Street. Rowell’s New Brewery was founded in 1840, was enlarged in 1913, then taken over by Newcastle Breweries Ltd in 1959.(http://www.gateshead-history.com/gateshead-breweries.html)
This was the first street in a series of streets running off the High Street to be completed by the Gateshead Friendly Building Society between 1825-1830. These were formed to help the poor to buy houses. The street was named after Simon Bolivar one of South America's greatest generals. His victories over the Spanish won independence for Bolivia, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela. He is called El Liberator (The Liberator) and the "George Washington of South America."