Here's a couple of badges with the goat design
this new siteClick the link and then put in the internal search facility whatever you're looking for
The number of iSee photographs used on this site has been reduced, and continues to be reduced at the request of Gateshead Local Studies who present their now watermarked image collection online here. Non watermarked images can be used if bought from the Council.. details below on this page. If this site inspires you to see more go to the Council's website*TFHG's own collection based on the original* collection of Peter Hayward
* Youtube Videos*and a number of other diverse sources...
Go here to see a fabulous, jaw droppingGateshead pic
....This one is from the Beamish collection of photos. It is of James Burke and a BBC crew filming the Gateshead No 10 Tram at Beamishand including other non/out of copyright photographs and copyrighted photographs, with permission or by the author of this website
iSee was a two year project (2005-2007) to digitise non/out of copyright images contained in Gateshead's Local Studies' collection. The project was funded by a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Gateshead's photograph collection includes over 10,000 images of the Gateshead Borough from the 1860s onwards. The collection, it's said, forms a unique social and political history of Gateshead, its people and its surroundings.
Title: 44-54 High Street, Gateshead, c1889
by Knowles, W.H. Date: C1889 Reference Number: GL004052Harrison's Cooperage, Thos. Ryan Butcher, our first Lidl store, John Wood
Brunswick Street, Barn Close, Gateshead Date: C.1936 Reference Number: GL002685
Looking North from the front of Number 199.
The Barn Close flats were the first multi-storey blocks on Tyneside.
They were completed in 1956 and consisted of 196 dwellings in four
t-shaped blocks with communal roof-top walking areas.
The flats were built on the site of some of Gateshead's worst slum
housing (pictured). Under the Housing Act of 1930 the Council was given
much greater legal power to deal with slum housing and whole areas could
be demolished. Barn Close was the first area to be tackled after an
enquiry in 1932 revealed conditions of extreme squalor (one basement was
found to contain 11 people). Between 1932 and 1935 Barn Close and other
slum areas at Pipewellgate, Hillgate, Bridge Street, Church Street and
Old Fold were acquired by compulsory purchase order and demolished. This
added to the worsening housing shortage, and with a lack of available
land on which to build, the solution was to build upwards.
Gateshead Council's Local History Library of photographs is extensive but unfortunately it is largely unsearchable on the internet. Here's an explanation as to the lack of searchability